NHSCA USA SUPER-50 BOYS XC TEAM RANKINGS 11/5/12
USA SUPER-50 BOYS TEAM RANKINGS
THE NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ASSOCIATION COMPUTER POLL
The Super 50 comprises the top 50 programs in the nation. All-American program status and commemorative award will be sent to teams in final rankings. Both Division I (more than 500 total enrollment) and Division II (less than 500 total enrollment) teams will be awarded National Championship and All-American status at the end of the season. All team scores are a computer power ranking of a teams strength.
NHSCA USA SUPER-50 BOYS TEAM RANKINGS
1. 1.000 Christian Brothers Academy, Lincroft, NJ
- The New Jersey super-team recently ran the fastest team performance in US history. Running a 15:08 team average for 5000 meters at the Shore Conference Championships they ran an 11-second 1-5 spread. Have established every major course record from Bowdoin Park to Vanny, this team is the real deal and perhaps there has never been another in comparison. The first team in history to return five sub 9:15 3200m runners is proving they are unstoppable.
1. 1.000 North Central HS, Spokane, WA
- The second team to crack the 1.000 barrier is reminiscent of the 2008 NXN National Championship team. Set a meet record winning the Bob Firman Invitational that we consider one of the best team performances of all-time. Won the WIAA State Championships with 38-points, 15:47 team average and 18-second 1-5 spread. What makes the spread so incredible is that top ranked runner Kai Wilmot did not compete. If a team is poised for the "upset" of Nike Cross Nationals it is this one.
3. .9979 Highland Milford HS, Highland, MI
- Ended the season with the 3rd fastest state meet team average in Michigan State Championship history. Only US#3 2000 Rockford HS (15:19) aided by Ritz 14:10 performance and the US#1 2006 co-national champions Dexter HS, MI (15:32) ran faster. Highland Milford averaged 15:34, led by individual state champion Brian Kettle who won in 15:07 and 4th place finisher Cody Snavely 15:16. The 3-5 spread was 8-seconds, Chris Housel 15:46, Matt Graves 15:47, Kevin Black 15:54. The same team who finished 3rd in the 2012 New Balance Outdoor Nationals 3200m Relay and 6th in the distance medley relay. Earlier in the season they did fall short to St. Xavier HS, KY and Carmel HS, IN however the 3-5 gap has been shored up and the state meet performance garners one of the highest computer power rankings ever recorded.
4. .9970 Arcadia HS, Arcadia, CA
- Won the Apache Invitational with a 15:26 team average for 5000 meters. The only loss this team has faced was at the Bob Firman Invitational to US#1 North Central. A better team than last seasons US#4 program but there is some distance between them and the top two although they have received one of the all-time computer power scores.
5. .9697 American Fork HS, American Fork, UT
- The best Caveman team yet won another UHSAA State Championship over US#10 Herriman HS, UT and US#10 Davis HS, UT. One of the better peaking teams in the nation scored 29-points to win the 5A race with five in the top 11. This team is loaded to the teeth and we believe the best team to ever come out of Utah, even better than last seasons US#3 Davis HS, UT team that got 3rd at NXN.
6. .9668 Southlake Carroll HS, Southlake, TX
- The Texas powerhouse returned seven runners all under 9:26 for 3200 meters, thats has only happened once in US history. Lost the 2011 NXN Team Championship to CBA HS, NJ by 7-points, the only problem, everyone has improved and Southlake will have to run even faster to redeem themselves this season. Recently won the Region I Championship with a 15:16 team average and 43-second 1-5 spread scoring 35 points. The best in Texas and a definite national championship contender.
7. .9550 York HS, Elmhurst, IL
- Returned all-five varsity scorers from last season team. Won the Class 3A Illinois State Championship with 82-points, 14:45 team average and 45-second 1-5 spread. York is always in national championship contention and this team is no exception to any before them as the strength of this team is the 2-5 pack.
8. .9442 St. Xavier HS, Louisville, KY
- How good is St. Xavier HS, KY? Their only loss came at the Great American XC Festival to US#1 Christian Brothers Academy HS, NJ. This team has been averaging sub 16-minute 5K's all season. Recently won Region 3 AAA Championships with 15:55 team average, 17-points and 18-second 1-5 spread. What makes this team so dangerous is the 1-3 up-front dominance and the small gap from 3-4 and the fact the 4-5 are consistently within 5-seconds shows in a large invitational such as NXN they are the "darkhorse".
9. .9378 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands, TX
- The best "Highlander" team of all-time recently ran a US#8 all-time 15:20 5K team average to win the Region II 5A Championship with 35 points. The strength of this team is the 1-5 spread consistently in the 30-second range. The teams only loss was a narrow defeat to US#5 Southlake Carroll HS, TX at the 2012 Nike South Invitational. The true strength of this team is that they pack close to nationally ranked top runner Brigham Hedges which puts them up front in most invitationals and a threat for the national team championship.
10. .9368 Stillwater HS, Oak Park Heights, MN
- The best team in Minnesota State history returns a team superior to 2011 US#10 program. Recently won the AA State Championships in a meet record 15:54 team average over the challenging 5K course. Led by individual standout Wayde Hall and Eric Colvin this team may be even better than our computer rankings have determined. If history reflects greatness, this team is truly great.
11. .9365 Davis HS, Kaysville, UT
- Last seasons team finished 3rd @ NXN and 2nd at NXN Southwest Championships after losing the state title to American Fork HS, UT. Could this seasons team be a late bloomer as well? Finished 2nd at UHSAA State Championships and a distant 4th at Bob Firman. Coached by Corbin Talley, a former Foot Locker finalist, the Darts should earn a berth to NXN.
11. .9365 Dowling Catholic HS, Des Moines, IA
- Finishing 5th at the 2011 NXN Heartland Championship but returned five of their top six. This season Dowling Catholic has been unstoppable, Heartland Classic champions where they won by over 100-points and a 22-second 1-5 spread; Roy Griak champions defeating Bismarck HS, ND with 33-second 1-5 spread; finally an Iowa State Championship meet record 15:32 team average with individual standout Jason Thomas claiming top honors. The strength of this team is the front three of Thomas, Jeff DeRocher, and Spencer Clark who have consistently been at the front leading the way for the Flying "D". No one would argue this is the best team in Iowa State history.
11. .9365 Herriman HS, Herriman, UT
- Last season American Fork HS, UT head coach Timo Mostert contacted us to tell us about a program on the rise, Herriman HS, UT. Was he ever right! Herriman burst onto the scene with a 3rd place finish at Bob Firman running a performance equal to 2011 Arcadia who went on to finish 4th @ NXN. Herriman was only 14-points behind Arcadia this season and 1-point ahead of US#10 Davis HS, UT. Herriman won the UHSAA State 4A Championship.
14. .9349 WC Henderson HS, West Chester, PA
- After an early season loss to US#14 Cardinal O'Hara at the Briarwood Invitational Henderson began a big meet streak that ended with the PIAA State Championships and a rematch with O'Hara. Along the way, team champions at Carlisle Invitational over US#25 Don Bosco Prep HS, NJ; team runner-up to US#1 Christian Brothers HS, NJ in the Eastern States Championships at Manhattan. Won the PIAA State AAA Championship on a 6th man tie-breaker with Cardinal O'Hara. The strength of this team is the 1-7 team depth as the 4-7 spread is 10-seconds leading to lethal displacement against top teams.
15. .9339 Cardinal O'Hara HS, Springfield, PA
- Earlier in the season finished 3rd @ Great American to US#7 St. Xavier HS, KY and US#1 Christian Brothers HS, NJ with 15:41 team average. This team is strong in the front three but the 3-5 gap is crippling the chances of stopping top teams as the lost the PIAA State AAA Championships on a 6th man tie-breaker to US#13 West Chester Henderson HS, PA 69-69. Almost assured a berth to NXN O'Hara must shore up that gap to contend with the big dogs in Portland. How good is O'Hara? In combined state meet scoring they actually defeated Henderson 90-91...
16. .9339 Sue Cleveland HS, Rio Rancho, NM
- This team and Los Alamos have been trading off spots as top team of the Desert Highlands. Three times they have finished less than 5-points apart. Most recently at the Los Alamos Invitational Cleveland won 34-39 over Los Alamos. Led by potential Foot Locker Finalist Luis Martinez. Hard to imagine or fathom a top-15 nationally ranked team not qualifying to NXN or being the 4th or 5th best team in the Southwest Region but thats the predicament Cleveland finds themselves. Perhaps victims of the most dominant region in the nation.
17. .9305 Chantilly HS, Chantilly, VA
18. .9294 Carmel HS, Carmel, IN
19. .9205 Los Alamos HS, Los Alamos, NM
20. .9116 Perham HS, Perham, MN (DII US#1)
21. .8484 College Park HS, The Woodlands, TX
22. .8375 St. Xavier HS, Cincinnati, OH
23. .8272 Carlsbad HS, Carlsbad, CA
24. .8220 Bismarck HS, Bismarck, ND
25. .8216 Don Bosco Prep HS, Ramsey, NJ
26. .8167 Fayetteville Manlius HS, Manlius, NY
27. .8134 Council Rock North HS, Newtown, PA
28. .8097 North Allegheny HS, Wexford, PA
29. .7920 Jones HS, Chicago, IL
30. .7906 Kamiakin HS, Kennewick, WA
31. .7854 Northport HS, Northport, NY
32. .7780 Waterford Mott HS, Waterford, MI
33. 7779 O'Fallon HS, O'Fallon, IL
34. .7665 Cedar Park HS, Cedar Park, TX
35. .7497 Monticello Senior HS, Monticello, IA (DII US#2)
36. .7489 Madison West HS, Madison, WI
37. .7480 Central Valley HS, Spokane, WA
38. .7474 Pleasant Valley HS, Bettendorf, IA
39. .7472 Bonneville HS, Ogden, UT
40. .7470 Arlington HS, LaGrangeville, NY
41. .7465 Nathan Hale HS, Seattle, WA
42. .7465 Linn Mar HS, Marion, IA
43. .7464 Tatnall HS, Wilmington, DE (DII US#3)
44. .7408 St. Anthony HS, Huntington, NY
45. .7345 Warwick Valley HS, Warwick, NY
46. .7339 Carroll HS, Fort Wayne, IN
47. .7333 Cabell Midland HS, Ona, WV
48. .7325 St. John Bosco HS, Bellflower, CA
49. .7219 Palos Verdes HS, Palos Verdes Estates, CA
50. .7218 Walt Whitman HS, Huntington Station, NY