NHSCA USA SUPER-50 GIRLS XC TEAM RANKINGS 11/5/12
USA SUPER-50 GIRLS TEAM RANKINGS
THE NATIONAL HIGH SCHOOL COACHES ASSOCIATION COMPUTER POLL
The Super 50 comprises the top 50 programs in the nation. All-American program status and commemorative award will be sent to teams in final rankings. Both Division I (more than 500 total enrollment) and Division II (less than 500 total enrollment) teams will be awarded National Championship and All-American status at the end of the season. All team scores are a computer power ranking of a teams strength.
NHSCA USA SUPER-50 GIRLS TEAM RANKINGS
1. 1.000 Birmingham Seaholm HS, Birmingham, MI
-Rising to the occasion defeated previous US#1 Grosse Pointe South HS, MI with a Michigan State Record team performance 18:19 5K team average with a 36-second 1-5 spread scoring 69 team points. To put the team performance into perspective, only two teams have ever run a faster team average, total team time and team performance on the Michigan State meet, 2012 Grosse Pointe South HS, MI (18:18); 1998 Harrier US#4 Rockford HS, MI (18:13) and the other 2000 Harrier National Champion Rockford HS, MI (17:57). For national ranking reference Seaholm's state meet performance was superior to 1999 Harrier US#2 Rockford HS, MI; superior to 2001 Harrier US#3 Rockford HS, MI; superior to 2002 Harrier US#6 Rockford HS, MI.
2. .9954 Grosse Pointe South HS, Grosse Pointe Farms, MI
-The top ranked team in the nation the entire season ran a state meet record 18:18 team average and 91:32 total team time but it wasnt enough to stop Seaholm HS, MI from seizing their opportunity. One of the all-time great prep programs have produced the 3rd highest NHSCA computer ranking and despite the loss at the state meet still gain points.
3. .9899 Great Oak HS, Temecula, CA
-The top team from California ran a shocker with an 18:08 team average to dominate the Apache Invitational with 19-points and five in the top ten. The Mt. Sac team champions are on a quest to back up a tremendous 2012 track season.
4. .9837 Fayetteville Manlius HS, Manlius, NY
- The six-time defending NXN National Team Champions experienced something this season they havent in nearly a decade, defeat, losing the Eastern States Championship at the Manhattan Invitational to US#9 Tatnall HS, DE. Without their #1 in that meet they are still pressed to be "perfect" to claim a 7th straight, one mis-step and another NXN Championship may be in jeopardy. Recently won Sextion III Championships with a perfect 15-points and 36-second 1-5 spread. We expect Fayetteville to make a late season push for NXN.
5. .9858 Carmel HS, Carmel, IN
- The greyhounds may have one of the best "teams" in midwest history. Undefeated Indiana State Champions have victories over US#6 Assumption HS, KY and US#20 West Lafayette HS, IN. The lack of a true front runner potentially hurts this team as they head into deep post season competition but the proof is in the pudding, they haven't lost and are currently ranked US#1 in the Milesplit USA National Rankings.
6. .9833 Southlake Carroll HS, Southlake, TX
- The Nike South Champions with a team average 18:37 then won the Chili Pepper Festival with an 18:26 team average for 5K. Won UIL Region I Championships with 17:49 team average, and 39-points. Like the boys are a deep deep team that could field two teams in most invitationals that can compete to win. Led by individual standout Courtney Kriegshauser this team should earn a berth to NXN.
7. .9827 Assumption HS, Louisville, KY
- The 2012 Great American Festival Champions have a win over the Eastern States Champions Tatnall HS, DE and a slew of top ranked teams but the sole loss came to US#5 Carmel HS, IN. A 2011 NXN Finalist team won the Region 4 AAA Championships with a 38-second 1-5 spread, 22-points and 18:39 team average. The pack is why they win and they should contend top 10 at NXN this season.
8. .9745 Saratoga Springs HS, Saratoga Springs, NY
- They compete for championships, the most successful program in prep cross country has a short season that includes competing for state championships and national titles. Finished 2nd @ Great American defeating Eastern States Champions Tatnall HS, DE but losing to US#6 Assumption HS, KY. Won the Secion II Championships with 32 points, 17:59 team average. The past three seasons have seen Toga peak better than any team "other than F-M" with multiple national runner-up finishes.
9. .9629 Saline HS, Saline, MI
-Had they competed in any Michigan State Championship the past twenty five years they would have won but this season saw the greatest team in Saline HS history come up against two of the top teams in the nation that some have entitled "the Michigan national championship". Running a 41-second 1-5 spread and averaging 18:28.2 for 5000 meters finished 3rd @ state to US#1 Birmingham Seaholm HS, MI and only 13-points behind US#2 Grosse Pointe South HS, MI. The caveat to Saline's season is that they return their top 6 and are expected to be pre-season US#1 coming into 2013.
10. .9591 The Woodlands HS, The Woodlands, TX
- The national record holder for 4K team average ran 14:12 at Andy Wells. Ran the 7th fastest team average for 5K at the Region II Championships where the Highlanders won with 18:01.45 team average, 51 points. Led by individual national threat Maddie McLellan may be one of the best ever from Texa. The week prior ran another all-time team performance to win District 14-5A Championships with 18:08 5K average and 27-points. Metrics don't lie, this team is legit, dominant, and the "Darkhorse" for Nike Cross Nationals.
11. .9388 Tatnall HS, Wilmington, DE (DII US#1)
- The Eastern States Champions did something no team in almost a decade has been able to do, defeat Fayetteville Manlius HS, NY. 3rd at last season NXN Finals return another dominant program as they are poised for a return to Portland and a repeat as National Division II Champions. The best small school program in the nation.
12. .9386 Pennsbury HS, Fairless Hills, PA
- Last seasons Pennsbury team was rumored to be a top-10 national team but no-showed the NXN region meets. This seasons team is even better. Winning the PIAA State Championships in a meet record 18:58 team average scoring 43-points to defeat US#18 Unionville by over 40! The state meet 1-5 spread of 28-seconds is incredible placing four in the top 10! Should Pennsbury choose to enter the NXN system this season they may be the states version of 2006 Coatesville.
13. .9383 Academy of the Holy Names HS, Albany, NY (DII US#2)
- Finished 9-points behind US#12 Pennsbury HS, PA @ Eastern States Championship at Manhattan. The super-small school is hanging with the big dogs of New York. Catherine Maloy and Kalee Scott are leading the way as dominant front runners consistently putting Holy Names in contention. The second best team in New York? They will give FM and Toga all they can handle at NXN New York should they compete.
14. .8958 Naperville North HS, Naperville, IL
- Last season New Trier HS, IL put Illinois girls cross country on the map with a 4th place finish at Nike Cross Nationals. This season, Naperville North may be even better! After a state championship victory with a 17:15 3-mile team average that featured perhaps four teams that could contend for an NXN berth all in the State AAA Championship. The 38-second spread allowed a massive 40-second team improvement on the state course and US#3 All-time team performance over 3-miles!
15. .8861 Simi Valley HS, Simi Valley, CA
- At the beginning of the season many said Simi Valley was the top team in California but then came Great Oak HS, CA. Led by US#1 Sarah Baxter, the defending NXN National Champion Simi Valley will return to Nike Cross Nationals as an improved team. How deep is the nation this season? 11th last season @ NXN Simi Valley's true strength is the fact they will gain the 1-point from Baxter and the 2-5 spread should be less than 20-seconds. The only hinderance is where that 2-5 spread will fall in the national rankings. This may determine whether SV cracks the top 5 or top 10 at NXN.
16. .8802 Kingwood HS, Kingwood, TX
17. .8734 College Park HS, The Woodlands, TX
18. .8727 Unionville HS, Kennett Square, PA
19. .8700 Pleasant Valley HS, Pleasant Valley, IA
20. .8555 Xavier College Prep HS, Phoenix, AZ
21. .8549 West Lafayette HS, West Lafayette, IN
22. .8544 Monarch HS, Louisville, CO
23. .8543 Fort Collins HS, Fort Collins, CO
24. .8302 Redondo Union HS, Redondo Beach, CA
25. .8208 Lake Park HS, Roselle, IL
26. .8131 Glenbard West HS, Glen Ellyn, IL
27. .8118 Arrowhead HS, Hartland, WI
28. .8116 Wayzata HS, Plymouth, MN
29. .8098 Neenah HS, Neenah, WI
30. .8037 Coeur D'Alene HS, Coeur D'Alene, ID
31. .8001 New Trier HS, Winnetka, IL
32. .8000 Saugus HS, Santa Clarita, CA
33. .7949 Pine Creek HS, Colorado Springs, CO
34. .7941 Davis HS, Kaysville, UT
35. .7922 Voorhees HS, Glen Gardner, NJ
36. .7919 Palatine HS, Palatine, IL
37. .7910 Bozeman HS, Bozeman, MT
38. .7755 Camas HS, Camas, WA
39. .7726 Rush Henrietta Sperry HS, Henrietta, NY
40. .7713 Champlain Valley HS, Hinesburg, VT
41. .7709 Burnt Hills Ballston Lake HS, Burnt Hills, NY
42. .7703 Lake Braddock HS, Burke, VA
43. .7679 Buchanan HS, Clovis, CA
44. .7673 Mountain Crest HS, Hyrum, UT
45. .7663 La Costa Canyon HS, Carlsbad, CA
46. .7659 Tesoro HS, Las Flores, CA
47. .7560 Park City HS, Park City, UT
48. .7554 East Aurora HS, Aurora, NY (DII US#3)
49. .7553 Barrington HS, Barrington, RI
50. .7534 Estero HS, Estero, FL